[oletrucks] Dream Truck

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Dream Truck
From: "Dean Stoops" <67gto@myvine.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 21:01:57 -0400
OK guys I'm looking for your' enlightened opinions! I want to build a truck
that is smooth and relatively quiet and doesnt drink gas like crazy. However I
will need to pull a 6000# trailer occaisionally on relatively level roads. The
given parameters are the 1951 3600 pickup that is in my barn at the moment. I
really want to run dual wheels and lower the truck slightly. I'm not against
running the straight axle up front if I can figure out how to mount the
"dually" style alcoa wheels. I keep thinking about just finding a later model
dually or 3/4 Ton that has been totaled and slide the whole frame and
drivetrain under the 51 body. I know that would require extensive fabricating
but I think I could do it. My concern with that would be the wider "track" of
the front wheels....I want them to fit under the fenders. I'm wondering about
the relative strength of the '51 frame vs the newer 3/4 or 1 ton frames. Any
comments will be greatly appreciated!!
Dean