[oletrucks] More help needed

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] More help needed
From: "William Schickling" <wschick1@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:57:53 -0400
List,

I am progressing well on my rebuild. This weekend I got my engine, bell
housing, flywheel, clutch, and T-5 transmission installed in the frame of my
1940 1/2 ton. I need a little help with getting a driveshaft. The space
between the center points of where the universal joints would be is 46 and
7/8 inches. That is with the yoke pushed all the way into the tail shaft. I
assume the slip fit of the yoke is the point that allows the drive train to
compensate for movement of the rear end, however I don't know how much to
subtract when calculating the length for the driveshaft. Also I have no idea
what I need for yokes at the ends of the drive shaft. As I said the
transmission is a T-5. The rear end is a 1955 1st series. Do I need to match
up the yokes? I have heard that NAPA, I assume others do as well, sells a
double size universal joint to connect mis-matched ends. Does anyone know
what universal joints go with the T-5 or the 1955 1st series rear end?

Thanks for any help.

Bill Schickling