[oletrucks] Re: IFS and Rear Suspension Swap

To: wayne@chevytrucks.org
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: IFS and Rear Suspension Swap
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:47:08 -0500
Wayne:
Per your message below, I'm very pleased with the results of the IFS and
rear suspension swap.  The work is definately not for the weak of heart!!  I
hope to write a tech article this coming winter and ask you to post it.  I
had to overcome a lot of 'small' issues to get everthing working right but
it is more than worth the price for the ride and handling.  Steering and
braking are phenominal compared to the original set up.  The rear suspension
and Ford 9-inch are working perfectly (either dumb luck or skill, I say dumb
luck).  My 3.70 ratio rear axle with the 2004R 4-speed auto and lock up
converter give me 1800 RPM @ 65 MPH and 2250 RPM @ 75 MPH.  Rear still rides
a little stiff with the 4-link and coil-overs, but I have to keep reminding
myself it's only 114 inch wheelbase (I'm sure that has something to do with
it).  One of my projects for next winter is to remove the fuel tank from the
cab and put a 20+ gallon tank in the back behind the axle, I think the added
weight will help the ride some.

I won't go as far to say that it handles like a 'vette, but a big
improvement over my original suspension (even my wife comments it rides and
corners better).

Write back when you have time and tell me how your rear axle swap went and
if you're satisfied with the results.

Save motoring,

Carl Ham