[oletrucks] AD Replacement Gas Tank

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] AD Replacement Gas Tank
From: Mark Mintmier <tenisguy@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 15:22:00 -0400
After weeks of preparation, I finally got the frame on my 1950 3100
painted with POR-15.  It took a lot longer than I expected to brush it
on the entire frame, but I think it's going to have been worth it.  The
frame looks great!  It's a shiny black color that looks a little like a
powdercoated frame.  I've only really heard good things about POR-15, so
I'm hoping to have a similar good report to share five or ten years from
now.  My question is about a gas tank.  I know I probably should have
addressed it before I painted everything, but I didn't.  I want to move
the gas tank between the frame rails, and I was considering one of the
custom tanks from No Limit or other vendors.  I like the idea of a tank
made to fit my truck, but I'm not thrilled about spending $400 - $500+
for a gas tank.  I've also seen brand new gas tanks on "that auction
site" for less than $100 for 1980-86 Broncos.  They look like a basic
square tank, but I don't know if it will fit or if I can make it fit.
 My fabrication abilities really aren't that great.  To finally get to
my question, I have been offered a gas tank from a 1989 Ford Ranger for
free.  It has a recently replaced sending unit and I can have as much of
the associated hardware, brackets, braces, etc. that I want.  Since the
price is right, does anyone know how easily this particular tank could
be made to work for an AD truck or if there is some other consideration
that makes it a bad choice?

As always, thanks for any input.
Mark