[oletrucks] Tranny and torque tube help

To: "Ole Truckers" <oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Tranny and torque tube help
From: "Michael Lubitz" <mlubitz@texas.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 06:19:27 -0600
Nice people,

Well, we have the rebuilt engine in place in my '46 3/4 ton.  We had left the
tranny in the truck and tried to align the engine to the trans when we were
installing the engine.  No luck - we just couldn't get the engine and tranny
to align just right.  So we took the tranny out and installed the engine.

Now  my questions:

1.  Any tips on rebuilding the tranny? While I have it out, I thought that I
might as well go through it and redo the tranny, too.

2.  The rear of the tranny has a u-joint that seems fine.  However, the rear
of the u-joint has a 5 or 6" shaft that is enclosed in a bronze bearing.  I
have ordered a new one.  How do I get the old bushing out?  How tightly does
the shaft need to fit in the bushing?

3.  I will paint the transmission with cast blast.  What is the right color
for the torque tube?  I am thinking that a semi-gloss black is correct.

Thanks for all your help thus far and in advance for your help with my new
questions.

Michael Lubitz
(512) 306-1681
'46 3/4 ton stock named, "Buddy"