Re: [oletrucks] GM Steering Columns

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] GM Steering Columns
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:21:44 -0700
> Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:40:27 -0700
> From: "Bob Chansler" <rchansl@attglobal.net>
> Subject: [oletrucks] GM Steering Columns
>
> I am in the process of putting in a R&P steering in my 49 burb. I need
> to put in the GM column I got out of a 74 Monte Carlo. I know lots of GM
> columns have been put in our old trucks before without much problem. How
> do you get the end of the column through the floor? There is a tab for
> the auto tranny that sticks out about 2.5 inches and there doesn't seem
> to be any way to get the column through the floor without removing this
> tab. Does this come off somehow? I need to get the steering lined up
> before I mock up my motor mounts. Can someone who's been there give me
> some advice?

The column comes apart, but the shift tube which that lever
is welded to is the last part to come out!  so you really
need to leave the column together, and cut a bigger hole in
the floor.  Then you'll need to make a cover plate to go
over the extra part of the hole.  You might use this to
mount the lower end of the column, you can bend an ear up on
the plate, and clamp the column to it.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!