Re: [oletrucks] Redoing the steering wheel

To: "Michael Lubitz" <mlubitz@texas.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Redoing the steering wheel
From: wayne osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 08:32:06 -0500
I'm reading an article on the subject and it speaks of using a product
called Evercoat Flex Patch, its a 2-part epoxy that sets up quick, files
and sands easily but is a bit flexible. I did a web search and didn't find
that exact name but did find this so I hit the vendors---go to
http://www.chevyduty.com/ and enter the on line store. Enter repair epoxy
in the search field and they have the stuff you need complete with
instructions for 6.95. The instructions in the article states to use a
triangular file and going over each crack with this to allow the material
to get into the cracks with excess on top. Using a file to take most of
excess away, using 80 grit to smooth out and then painting with paint that
has a flex agent in it. I don't know how regular automotive paint would do
as it has hardening agents in it. I'm sure the instructions for above would
have some information on this. I know that the wheel in my old work 56 got
to the point that if it was damp or moist the black stuff would come off
all over your hands.    --wayne