[oletrucks] manual mustang/ Pinto rack

To: oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [oletrucks] manual mustang/ Pinto rack
From: howwilcox@juno.com
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:40:18 -0500
I working on a 1953 Short bed Chevy pick up.
So far I have installed a Rbs bolt in mustang cross member using parts
from a 1979 Pinto,
with the Pinto manual rack.  My problem is it steers very hard.

I would like to know what I can do to make my truck steer easyer.  I know
rack U joints
& their angles may effect the steering also alinement & wheel & tire
size. Now Im using
15 inch S-10 wheels & 205-70 tires.gfh

I have replaced the Pinto front springs with Rbs new 500 pound springs,
I also plan to lower the rear using 2 inch blocks & removing a couple of
leaves.  The rear is a ten inch Nova & installed  over the springs & sits
quite high.  The front of the truck sits very low with the Mustang cross
member.

Lowing the rear should take some of the weight off the front, changing to
a taller tire should
raise the tire sidewall.  Alinement & redoing the U joints should help on
resistance.

Please tell me if there
are any parts you might recommend & if there is a better rack I could
use.  I really don't want to use a power rack if I can make a manual
system work ok.

Thanks,  Harley                 howwilcox@juno.com