[oletrucks] Differential cover and shocks

To: <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Differential cover and shocks
From: "Will & Merrisa Nelle" <wmnelle@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:22:59 -0500
I have just drained and cleaned out the rear end on my truck.  In
putting the cover back on, I notice the fill hole is just off the
(vertical) centerline (CL) of the rear axles.  If it is installed in one
position, the drain would be just below the CL of the axles, whereas
rotating the cover 1800 would put the fill hole just above the CL of the
axles.  I seem to recall that I took it off with the hole just below the
CL of the axles.  The orientation it is installed in is important
because it determines the fill level in the differential.  Being a 3/4
ton truck, the rear axles are the full floating type and are lubricated
by the same fluid as the differential.  So, I am curious if the fill
hole should not be above the CL of the axles rather than below the CL?
None of the literature that I have show the orientation of the rear
cover.  Can someone back up my thinking with some literature or
experience?

Other thing:  I have recently noticed that the rear upper shock mounts
have been cut in such a manner that makes then unusable.  I would like
to reinstall shocks on the truck as it originally came.  Does anyone
have a parts 3/4 ton truck (I'm assuming the brackets would be different
than a 1/2 ton truck) that could offer up these brackets for me?  Please
help!

Will Nelle
Longview, TX
51 3600 Chevy