RE: [oletrucks] 1958 GMC V8 Oil Pump

To: <dcvjrv@covad.net>, "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 1958 GMC V8 Oil Pump
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <bill.hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 22:31:59 -0500
Trying to find a pump or a kit for a 55-58 Pontiac is a trick.  I bought
a Meling K-54 kit on that auction web site we don't talk about on this
e-mail list a few years ago, but I put it into my '57 GMC truck last
winter.  But I found out that even though the pump housing is different
('59 and newer pump housing will make contact with the crankshaft in my
'57 V-8) the guts to the pump are interchangeable.  So find yourself a
Meling M-54D pump and scarf the driving and driven gears from it if that
is what broke.  If your 336 is serial number 35001 or higher (which is
probably a '59 model) the Meling M-54D will bolt right in and work.

It is more likely that something happened to the shaft (shaft - engine
oil pump 518022) that connects the oil pump to the bottom of the
distributor.  That is what you are looking at when you look down into
the distributor hole.  Master Parts Book shows this shaft being the same
part for 55-59 engines.  The '59 engine is based on the Pontiac 389.  My
guess is that the shaft is common at least until mid '60s Pontiac V-8
engines.

I'm going to forward this e-mail over onto the '50s Pontiac e-mail list
for additional comment.  They are a pretty knowledgeable bunch.  I'll
let you know what they say.