[oletrucks] Diagnostic Help! Electrical problem w gas gauge

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Diagnostic Help! Electrical problem w gas gauge
From: Mikecdk@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 23:31:51 EDT
OK,

Polling you guys for your thoughts...here's a weird one!

On my 1966 Chevy 1/2 ton:

Gas gauge was not reading...I used my test light to check at the fuse box  if
there was any power going to that wire...some yet very dim...and the
connections on the sending unit are clean and tight, ditto with the tank ground
 wire.

So, I got a new wire and it finally came in so I connected it from the fuse
box to the sending unit....turned on the ignition for grins just to make sure
it  worked...and it pegged the needle from empty (where its been regardless of
fuel  level) to full....now the weird part!

I removed the wire from the fuse box completely, and the gauge pegged all
the way to the right past full with the ignition switch in the "on"
position...then I used my test light to see if there was current....and the gas
 gauge
moved to 3/4 full where it actually should be!

I have no idea what is going on here...if I just install the new wire, the
gauge will peg from showing off to past full...in touching the fuse box with my
 test light, did that perhaps act as a separate ground?

Frankly I'm stumped, what am I missing?

Thanks!

Mike