[oletrucks] Re: Headers

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Headers
From: Vince Strazzabosco <vstrazzabosco@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 17:56:16 -0700 (PDT)
Headers will give you more HP, torque, etc, but....

The engine was originally set up and the carb jetted for a stock
carb, intake and exhaust manifold/tailpipe setup.  If you change
something, you may need to change something else as well.

You're getting poorer mileage because your exhaust is more efficient,
and you're flowing more air, thus using more fuel with the way the
current carb is jetted.  I'm not familiar with what carb/carbs you
have, but you will need to adjust it and probably change the jetting.

Lots of people who make changed like this don't drive their vehicles
often enough to notice that their mileage has been affected, so you
often only hear about how the power was increased, etc.  but nothing
about how their mileage was affected, good or bad.

Maybe there are some others on this list who have a similar engine
setup to yours who can tell you what, if anything, they did to adjust
their carb.

Hope this helps,

vince

> Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 11:36:15 -0600
> From: "Durwood B. Darbin" <dhckdkcsk@hotmail.com>
> Subject: [oletrucks] headers = less mpg WHY??
>
> To the all wise and ever knowing list,
>
> Why would one get less miles per gallon after fenton headers were
> installed??  I thought that headers were supposed to make the
> engine be more
> efficient AND give you more hose power and torque and all that
> stuff.
>
> Very Confused,
> Durwood
> 51 Chevy 1/2 ton Deluxe 5 window