[oletrucks] It's not a Pontiac, nor is it an old GM truck, but ...

To: <pontiac-1950s@yahoogroups.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] It's not a Pontiac, nor is it an old GM truck, but ...
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <bill.hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:36:28 -0500
I attended the United Cerebral Palsy "Classy Chassis" show Sunday. It
was held on the floor of Reliant Stadium, nice and cool on a Sunday
afternoon. Admission was NOT free (don't remember the amount).

This is not your typical Saturday night burger joint parking lot event.
A number of the cars have attended the Pebble Beach show. Many were from
John O'Quinn's collection (SJ Duesenberg, Supercharged Auburn Boattail
Speedster, etc.). Others included a '57 T-Bird with factory Paxton
blower, a C-type Jaguar, a few Ferraris and Maseratis, a 1927 Bugatti
Type 37, a 2003 Saleen S7 and a '58 Isetta. Of more interest to the
Detroit pony car set were a '66 Chevy II by Boyd Codington and a '70
Hemi Barracuda along with Mustangs and Corvettes. In all there were over
100 cars.

The star of the show may have been Jim Hall's Chaparral 2D (won the '66
1000KM Nurturing with Phil Hill in the driver's seat).

But my favorites were a pair of '32 Fords. The first was a Arden headed
black highboy roadster with red wire wheels belonging to Don Blenderman
of South Houston. The other was a B-400 owned by Dan Benak of Houston.
The B-400 had a set of ELCO twin-plug heads (16 spark plugs total) that
I assume were connected to two distributors. Unfortunately the
passenger's side hood was closed so I could not see the distributor
arrangement. Wayne Osborne was nice enough to post pictures of the
engine at http://www.chevytrucks.org/temp/B-400.jpg and
http://www.chevytrucks.org/temp/elcotwin.jpg for a few days.  The close
up is the middle two cylinders on the driver's side.

I know you guys are 50's Pontiac and Old GM Truck experts, but have any
of you ever seen a flathead like this?

I'd recommend this show to anyone who is a car nut. United Cerebral
Palsy is an organization worthy of your contributions and this show
makes it easy to give. The show's web site http://www.classychassis.org/
<http://www.classychassis.org/>  has not been updated to this years'
entries yet, but it should be soon.  Next year's show will be on June
10-11.