[oletrucks] Start Question

To: Oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Start Question
From: "Paul A. Thomas" <bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 08:38:58 -0700
Hey Guys.  As I kept putting off getting my '53 3/4 ton running again I
finally had it towed to a repair shoppe.  I had thought the problem was
the generator needing to be polarized.

I have not used the shoppe before but have driven by many times over the
past 10 years and they would either have tuned nicely painted vehicles
from the 60's in their parking lot or 50's - 70's pickups or dump trucks
there. And BBB indicates they are good to deal with.

They called up yesterday to say that I needed a starter, as well as
suggesting I put a modern alternator on it. They indicate the present
starter ( I believe I had the original one rebuilt when I had the engine
done 15 years ago: 15 years and maybe 1000 miles ago <g> ) The starter
is pulling over 100 amps when engaged.

Could anyone tell me what the standard kick starter should pull when
cranking the engine? As batteries rate their starting power load in the
400's to 700's I would not think 100 amps is that bad. ??

Thanks!

                Paul