[oletrucks] Starter Problems

To: "Truck List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Starter Problems
From: "Wayne E. Roworth" <wroworth@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:19:51 -0400
Just wanted to say thank you to all who provided input to my intermittent
starting problems.

> 05/25/2005:
> Most times it turns over just fine with lots of torque.
> Sometimes it wants to "bind" before turning over. A
> few times only it does nothing and I have to tap it with a hammer before it
> will turn over. I was told by a passerby that I need to get a "double
wound"
> starter like what's on a Corvette so it will turn my high compression
engine
> over without problems. My engine is a 383 Stroker, 450 hp and 411 torque and
> think it's 9:1.

I went ahead and installed a "high torque" starter two months ago and have not
had a problem since. See this link:

http://www.partzfinder.com/High_Torque_Mini_Starter_Chevy_SB_BB_p/cvr-5323.ht

The installation was a breeze. Lightweight, no shims and the brass faceplate
rotates to solve any type of clearance problems.

"Note to Ryan: I do have the timing advancedfor max performance so it is a
factor because when it's warm with the new starter it slows on starting
revolutions but definitely no lock ups."

Thanks again - Wayne - 1 Ton Panel