[oletrucks] Removing Paint

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Removing Paint
From: "Paul A. Thomas" <bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:51:11 -0700
Hey Guys.  I was wondering if I might not have cleaned the metal well
enough the last time I tried to get rid of the rust on the top of my
cab.  I just came across a few photos I took at the time ( 2002 ) and
remembered I was unable to get some of the ... 'hardened' rust combined
with metal to come up with the right angle grinder with a wire brush on
it. The photo of the roof is here :

http://www.paulathomas.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/chevy005.jpg

See the rough/textured brownish patch in the middle of the area being
worked on? It just refused to come up. But in retrospect I have to
assume this type of remnant is what is causing the rust to bleed back up
through the primer and paint. (?)

The other tool I have is a small right angle grinder, which is better at
cutting through metal or smoothing welds down. But isn't there another
type of right angle circular sander, like a right angle drill but with a
6-8" sanding surface? ( I know it sounds bad, but I've only done
mechanical and electrical work before ) Would this other 'sander' be the
correct tool to remove such damaged metal? then clean it and seal it
with the etching primer mentioned recently, then paint it?

I'm not concerned about it being perfect. I just want the rust to die an
un-natural death.

Thanks for your advice.

                Paul