[oletrucks] 350 help

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 350 help
From: "Michael Lubitz" <mlubitz@texas.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 05:54:37 -0500
Gang,

I am just getting started on my next project.  Buddy, my stock '46, is running
well so it's time to start on the hotrod.

As a bi of an introduction:  I bought the project six years ago from the widow
of the guy who started it.  He was an airplane mechanic so the truck is done
nicely.  The first problem that I have is that the 350 has radiator water in
the oil.  The oil was in layers when I drained it with the top layer being an
grayish emulsion of oil and water.  The engine and drivetrain are installed on
the chassis, but the radiator support is not.  I am thinking that he ran it
for a less than 15 minutes just to check things out before installing the
front sheet metal.

My questions:  Is there some sort of ram-down test to check to see if it is a
head gasket?  I was thinking to pressurize the cooling system and listen for
leaks.  But how do I do this"  What pressure?  Where do I listen?  How do I
listen?  Do I forget about any tests and just remove the heads?  Does anyone
have other ideas on how to find the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Michael Lubitz
(512) 306-1681
'46 3/4 ton stock named, "Buddy"