RE: [oletrucks] Signal light wiring

To: "Gleason, Roger" <roger.gleason@uconn.edu>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Signal light wiring
From: "J Forbes" <jforbspam@fastmail.fm>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 12:06:44 -0600
On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 13:41:23 -0400, "Gleason, Roger"
<roger.gleason@uconn.edu> said:
> Thanks Jim
> So did the trucks come with a factory signal light switch or were they
> all aftermarket?

What year is your truck?  I believe turn signals were optional in trucks
starting in 1954.  There original switch sits in a cup just behind the
steering wheel, and it has 6 wires.  The non-TS equipped trucks use a
"dummy" cup bolted to the back of the steering wheel, this is removed
when the turn signal switch is added.

Older trucks usually had add-on signals installed at some time, but they
did not come with wiring for turn signals in the original harness that I
know of.

> Were the "original" ones, if there were any, of the Signal Stat Variety?
> Are there others? I remember them as being chrome bodied. The one I have
> looks like it has a place to snap in a flasher unit from the backside. I
> really want to use what's correct and I wish they hadn't put the really
> large lights on top of the fender.

The Signal Stat turn signal stuff is all aftermarket add-on.  The bit
lights on the fender were a common thing to do back then...I know what
you mean.

Also the non-TS trucks did not come with dual filament sockets for the
front park lights, which is one reason the lights were put on the
fenders.

> What was the name of the plastic thing that mounted on the dash or
> windshield that let you view the traffic lights?

That's a traffic light viewer.

Jim
--
  J Forbes