RE: [oletrucks] 57 GMC sold at Barrett Jackson

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 57 GMC sold at Barrett Jackson
From: Bill.Hanlon@hp.com
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:25:10 -0600
Actually, that particular truck was what made me start asking about the
tailgate.  A judge for POCI (Pontiac Oakland Club International) asked
me to evaluate that particular truck using only those pictures.  POCI
has recently opened a class for GMC (not Chevy) trucks given the old
association between Pontiac and GMC dealers as well as the fact that GMC
TF trucks with V8s used Pontiac V8s.  I took a look at the pictures and
assuming this vehicle would be entered into judging as either original
or restored immediately found a few things I didn't like.

First thing I noticed was that it had a '57 grille and hood, but a
'55/56 steering column, steering wheel and turn signal assembly. I sent
BJ an email asking for the vin number, but they replied that they didn't
have it.  So the question remains is it a 55/56 with a 57 front clip, or
a 57 with a 55/56 steering column, etc.

The shift, turn signal and window crank knobs where Chevy, not GMC
(which are made of UnObtanium).

The air cleaner is not stock.  Looks to be a Chevy product to me,
somewhere around 1958.  Also has an alternator and an incorrect heater
control valve.  Missing the GMC stickers from the valve covers.  I can't
tell for sure, but the carburetor appears too large to be the stock
Bendix/Stromberg.

V8 emblems are missing from the front fenders.

The BJ information is also bogus.  If it is a '57 the horsepower rating
was 206, not 270.  The engine is a 347, not 348.  And while the 347 is a
one year engine, Pontiac V8s were used in 55.2 through 59 V8 equipped
GMC light trucks.

I know some of this is pretty picky (especially coming from me who has
modified my GMC quite a bit), but when judges look at "restored"
vehicles like this is supposed to be they would also knock off points
for things like the stainless (or chromed) screws holding on the rear
fenders and the fancy-finished (instead of painted black) bed boards.
All that said, it is still a much better looking truck than mine.

But $50K for a LWB GMC TF truck sounds a little steep to me.  I'll sell
mine for half that in a heartbeat if anyone is interested.  It is only
insured for $12K.

And I still haven't answered my question about the tailgate.