RE: [oletrucks] Power steering/Front Suspension

To: twwood@bellsouth.net, kpier883@bellsouth.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Power steering/Front Suspension
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:07:01 -0600
Tom makes some very good points.  When I bought my '56 I set about
rebuilding the front suspension and rear brakes (new kingpins and bushings,
roller bearing upgrade on the front, new wheel cylinders, brake retention
springs and etc.).  Even after doing all that, I eventually replaced the
front suspension with an IFS.

My point is this, you can replace/rebuild virtually all the front suspension
but you still have technology and iron that this almost 50 years old and
wasn't made to go 65 or 70 MPH down the road.  If you insist on remaining
original (and I for one have no problem with that), then be prepared to
carefully check and maintain all the obvious wear points on the suspension
and DO NOT expect your vehicle to ride, steer, and stop like a late model
sports car and drive it accordingly.

There is a place in this hobby for the full restoration, resto-rod, street
rod and other segments.  What's needed is a mutual respect between them for
each one's desires and being aware of your particular vehicle's limitations
to safely operate it on the road.

Sorry for the lengthy editorial-style response, but it's my 2 cents worth on
the subject.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside Pickup
Hopewell, IL