Re: [oletrucks] 59 longbed 32

To: "Bryan Hefner" <hefnerb001@hawaii.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 59 longbed 32
From: wayne osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:02:31 -0400
Bryan,
   If my memory serves me the 78 years was the start of the smaller type
vehicles so the 77 would be the last of the bigger El Caminos. The 350
engine and tranny can definitely be transferred and is a most popular
combo, of course you'll have to use after market motor and tranny mounts.
Most vendors carry the tubular style that fits between the frame rails.
You have to measure the width of the rear end on the El Camino and see how
wide it is as I don't have reference material to cover it and compare to
original. I seem to recall the stock rear was 63 inches from wheel mounting
surface on each hub, if the donor rear is wider you'll have to use offset
wheels to get them tucked in the fenders and miss the lip-of course this
depending on the width wheel ya want to use, the donor rear I used was 61
and 3/4  which allowed be to use 8 inch wheels with no offset and they fit
nicely.  --wayne