[oletrucks] Lowering the Front End

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Lowering the Front End
From: "David Raphael" <draphael@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:27:42 -0700
    Suddenly, lowering the front end of my '49 Chevy 3100 pickup has become
more complicated and challenging.  I started out asking members about their
experience with removing a leaf from the front springs in order to lower the
truck.  Well, I got a lot of feed back, thanks, but also some conflicting
advice.  Some have warned against removing leafs for safety reasons.  Others
have suggested "dropped spindles", "a dropped axel", replacing the current
suspension with a "mono-leaf" spring, or simply switching to 15" wheels and
low-profile tires.  Anyone out there know enough to compare these various
approaches?  Do they even make dropped spindles for my '49 pickup?  Any
guidance will be appreciated.                            Dave

Dave in Portland
'49 -- 3100, 3-window