RE: [oletrucks] Rear Suspension

To: thomasind@nventure.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Rear Suspension
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 08:22:32 -0500
Jim:
Several years ago I replaced my rear axle and suspension on my '56.  I
bought a used Ford 9-inch rear axle with 3.70 ratio and found an Art
Morrison 4-link rear suspension at a swap meet.  I also purchased a set of
QA1 coilover shocks (new) and installed them at the same time (the coilovers
with the Art Morrison suspension were for racing and didn't work out well
for me).

Having driven my truck with the original (leaf spring) suspension and the
new 4-link, the difference is like night and day to me.  I'm very pleased
with the performance and handling and even though my stepside is 114-inch
wheelbase, it rides very well.  I moved my gas tank from behind the seat in
the cab to under the bed behind the rear axle and I think the added weight
at the back of the truck helps the ride quality.

I definately agree that you should have a professional weld your suspension
brackets.  I had a friend weld my IFS to the frame a couple of years ago and
while he meant well (and I thought he did a good job), I experienced some
problems with welds breaking at critical stress points and had to have most
of the cross member and shock towers rewelded professionally.  Suspension
parts take a beating on a vehicle and effect the handling and safety.  My
suggestion is to find a reputable welder and spend the extra few dollars to
assure your suspension will be solid and safe.

Good Luck with your project!!

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside Pickup
Hopewell, IL