[oletrucks] Weight Savings

To: "oletrucks@autox.team.net" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Weight Savings
From: Kirk Pierce <kpierce883@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:59:43 -0500
My '57 is underway again.  While the bodywork is going, I am working on
the engine (externals).  I have been collecting parts for the drivetrain
and have been weighting the components.  In addition to adding more
performance oriented items, I am also interested in weight savings,
particularly on the front axle.

So far, I have obtained, from an anonymous online auction site, a used
Edelbrock Performer and a Mallory Unilite.  Additionally, I picked up a
used S10 tranny (thanks to the list for the tech articles on this
swap).  I have weighed the items that I am replacing so far and added
them to the table below.  I have added several items (no weights shown)
to the table that I may change out.  So far it looks like I've lost
about 100 pounds!

If anyone has other weight cutting ideas, let me know.  The items that
have no weight beside them haven't been weighed yet, or I don't have an
alternate item for replacement yet.

Weight Savings - Small block chevy and transmission

Item    Original        Replacement     Savings         Before  After
Intake Manifold         35      13      22      Cast Iron 4 bbl
Edelbrock Performer
Transmission    118     78      40      Muncie 3 spd with o.d.  T5 from S10
Bellhousing     40      15      25      Cast Iron from Bus      Alum. Chevy**
Estimate
Exh Manifold - Left     10
        10      cast iron ram horn      Shorty header?
Exh Manifold - Right

        cast iron ram horn      Shorty header?
Flywheel

        168 tooth truck         153?