Re: [oletrucks] Official site of Stacey David's Gearz |

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, "Martin Smith" <smithm92@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Official site of Stacey David's Gearz |
From: "Robert Baird" <bairdr54@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:24:16 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)
The rear end that is in my truck is 55T rear end used from 55 to 62 1/2 ton
p/u with 3:38 gears, made  by Yukon Gear & Axle it had 3:90 gears in it when
I got it. The 3:90 and 4:11 gears where the only one offered for the 1/2 ton
p/u . The transmission is the original SM 420 4 Speed with the compound low
gear. It is not the best transmission to use for it. It need's a better
ratio transmission than what the SM 420 can offer. I run out of throttle in
2nd. Gear but it will go & go in 4th. Gear. The 261 will runs great in 3rd.
And 4th Gear, I have had it up to 70 mph and that is plenty fast for the
front axle and drum brakes.
The front end is stock straight Axle with added Power Steering using a
Saginaw 800 series Box and an Ididit steering Column and 2 Borgeson u-joints

The engine is a 261 bored 0.060 over with aluminum piston the head has
bronze valve guides and over size valve with a 3 angle cut hardened seats
and is milled  about 0.050 to give a smaller compression chamber like the
235 head has, this is one of the highest nickel content blocks that was made
for the 261 it is a 59-62 cast number, and has full flow oil system at 40lb.
Hot and near 60lb. When cold  if not more it is still using the 53 year old
oil gauge, it is of a bit .
It has an Alternator with A/C for comfort to me.  Oh I did most of the work
the paint was done by a person in Gholson Texas that will remain anonymous
thank you

Robert Baird