RE: [oletrucks] 350 id numbers

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 350 id numbers
From: Keith Durand <kdurand@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:23:15 -0500
There's no way of knowing 2 or 4 bolt main without dropping the pan. The
010 ending of the number was used on a lot of 350's, and it's probably a
350. The other options were pretty limited production runs.

For brackets, have you tried a boneyard? The brackets didn't change much
for at least 1969-1986, at least as far as bolting to the engine goes.
Before that, the water pump had a shorter snout and uses different
brackets. After that, all bets are off. It was probably the same until
the later design V8s took over. Sometime around 1978 there was a change
from imperial to metric fittings on the power steering pump. And there
were several AC compressors used over the years. You will probably want
to match the power steering pump fittings to whatever you have in your
truck.

I ended up using brackets off of a V6 on my 350. I bought them on a
gamble that they would fit because the AC compressor installation looked
cleaner-- most of the AC brackets seemed to need the exhaust manifolds
to mount, while the one I picked just shared one of the bolt holes with
the manifold. I used a late 70s or early 80s bracket setup from a
Camaro, for what it's worth.

The PS pump is installed through the bracket, by the way, and the pulley
locks it in. They are difficult to get apart, but not too bad to put
together.

Here's a picture of my setup. The V6 brackets had no issues.

Keith