Re: [oletrucks] 55 chevy truck steering column bearing removal

To: MARK TREUTELAAR <oldphones@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 55 chevy truck steering column bearing removal
From: wayne osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 07:23:15 -0500
At 03:06 PM 4/7/2008, you wrote:
  mark,
    Is the play you're mentioned in the steering mechanism meaning when
you're driving down the road you can  turn your steering wheel a bit left
and right and the truck won't respond. Or sitting still the steering wheel
can be physically moved left and right indicating the mast head jacket
bearing in the top of the column has some play?
   If the second scenario is correct you should be able to removed the
steering wheel, horn assembly and you'll see the bearing in the top of the
steering column, I seem to recall there is a wire for the horn ground on it
and I had no issues just pulling mine out with the wire and a bit of
patience. Now if the play you wanting to remove is in the steering
mechanism--thats a bit more difficult and i'll wait on a reply before
tackling that one.,  --wayne