[oletrucks] 235 engine problems - what went wrong, what would you do?

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 235 engine problems - what went wrong, what would you do?
From: "Kinderlehrer" <Kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 16:41:28 -0800
Hi all,
Not too many months ago I put new rings, bearings and rear seal in my 235
engine. Yesterday I got a serious knocjk and came home on the bed of a AAA tow
truck.  I pulled the pan today and found the number 5 bearing was completely
gone. There are twisted up pices of foil in the oil pan, but that's all the
evidence there was ever a bearing in there.

The crank is discolored, but seems to be round and not grooved, amazingly
enough. I haven't pulled the head so I don't know if the piston rod is out of
round.

What could have caused this to happen?  The cap was tight, if anything too
tight, I torqued them all to spec when I installed them, but these seemed to
be a lot tighter than that.  The oil hole in the crank is clear, I was able to
insert a pipe cleaner about 4" inches up with no resistance and it came out
clean. All teh other bearings appear to be ok - no slap in them anyway.

Is there any solution short of pulling the  engine?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Bob