RE: [oletrucks] '57 Chevy 3100 series - wheels rub after front

To: "Captain Kirk" <thecaptainkirk@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] '57 Chevy 3100 series - wheels rub after front
From: "wayne osborne" <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 08:09:17 -0400
Kirk,
  I definetly wouldn't go with a bigger spacer to give you the added
clearance, what width wheels was used? I doubt you could go much wider than
an 8 inch wheel with zero offset, have you tried installing the original
wheels or was these the same wheels that was on there before?  Your options
are very limited with the 6 lug pattern as you'll find out when you got to
the wheel/tire store, just so you'll know as you won't find many of the cool
looking modern wheels in a 6 lug pattern. I went with the 5 lug disc break
conversion to give me more choices with wheels, also put a late model rear
to give me the same pattern all the way around. An 7 inch wheel looks good
with 8 inch wide on the back--just my opinion...   I agree with you on the
new wheels--- as here goes the conversation....  Dang honey, guess i'm gonna
have to get new wheels for the oletruck--aw shucks I really hate that I have
to do that but guess i'll sacrafice. ;-)  But remember any offset to the
outside will cause the wheel/tire to possibly poke out from underneath the
fender lip - with a 7 inch wheel probably won't have that problem. I seem to
recall somewhat makes dropped tie rod ends but can't locate them right
now.....
..

--wayne