Re: [Oletrucks] rear end bearings

To: ole trucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] rear end bearings
From: Dustin Cross <livnrt@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:51:14 -0700
I tried to order a shim kit for the carrier bearings and everywhere had a lead
time of 2-7 days and a cost of about $40.  I went to a local trans shop and
was GIVEN the right shim kit.  I got it back together and everything was in
spec but I was pushing the limits on lash.  I have driven it about 800 miles
since and it is working great.  Not counting chasing parts I have about 7
hours into it.  It was not as bad as I expected but I do have access to a
hoist and press!  I had to build drivers to install a couple of the bearings
but the old bearings were fairly easy to modify for that.  I did make the
mistake of assuming the "differential bearing kit" came with axle bearings and
seals but because I had to get the shim kit it did not hold me up.