[Oletrucks] LED Tail lights

To: <Oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Oletrucks] LED Tail lights
From: "Mac Kinghorn" <kinghorn@watersidewireless.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 12:48:35 -0600
Afternoon Fellow Groupies

Further to my previous posting regarding the LED Tail lights I have seen some
other posts that have raised both warnings as well as asked questions so I
will do my best to provide and adequate reply.  Sorry no pictures but if you
go the the www.uapac.com website they have an antiques catalogue and
everything you will need to see is in there.  I would suggest doing a uapac
search on google as this way it brings up the antique catalogue that you can
click onto and get direct access.

Comments

1.  The lights are warranted for 100,000 hours of operation.
2.  The lights provide instantaneous response which results in 18 feet of
extra stopping distance for trailing vehicles at highway speeds.
3.  The lights are both DOT and SAE compliant.
4.  Very easy to install and depending on your vehicle have either a plug that
goes into the original light socket or 3 wires to hookup.
5.  Part numbers
    If you are just going to use your original light housings you will need to
order, for the left side CTL4053LED-L for the RED lens or CTL4053CL for the
CLEAR lens.  This also includes the LICENSE PLATE light.  For the right side
you will need to order CTL4053LED-R  for the RED lens or CTL4053CR for the
CLEAR lens.  The LICENSE PLATE light is also available separately and is part
no. CTL4053LL and is a CLEAR lens.
6.  There are also complete light assemblies, both left and righ, available in
CHROME, BLACK or STAINLESS.
7.  The power to them has not changed and the original 12 volt three blade
flasher that I am using works as it should.
8.  There is a warning on the package that states CLEAR LENS LIGHTS MAY NOT BE
LEAGAL FOR STREET USE and that proper inquiries should be made with your local
authority.

Based on the above I am extremely happy with the performance of my lights, I
have had them in use for 2 seasons now and they work very well.  They are
noticably brighter than the original bulb types and can be see easily in both
day and night conditions.

I would not suggest using the clear lens units, even though the leds show red,
as I think it would look somewhat wierd unless the unit was a show vehicle
only.  My recomendation would be to get yourselves a set of the RED units,
install them and wow at the brightness they provide.

Hope this provides you with the information that you need.

Mac Kinghorn
52 Chev 1300 PU