Re: [Oletrucks] No E-mails

To: "'Mac Kinghorn'" <kinghorn@watersidewireless.net>,
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] No E-mails
From: "Doug W" <dwpumps@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:59:12 -0800
Well, OK. How about a question? I've asked before but didn't get any
replies.

What kind of leaf spring clips or retainers are stock for a 1956, 1/2 ton
3100 Chevrolet?

There are two kinds that I have seen. There's a two part design composed of
a bottom plate with two slots, into which a strap goes around the spring
pack and the ends are folded back through the slots of the lower plate to
hold the leaf pack together. Both parts are of about 1/16th inch material.

The other design is a single part, in much heavier metal, maybe 3/16th inch.
This design simply has the ends of the clip bent around the leaf pack, but
because it is of much heavier gauge metal, it doesn't need a bottom plate to
hold the ends in place.

I've been told the latter design is stock for my truck, but I took off the
two-part retainer clips, and I have no reason to believe that all four leaf
springs have ever been replaced on my truck. So what says the group?

Thanks.

D.W.