Re: [Oletrucks] Swapping out rear end on '52 GMC 1/2 T

To: jpchas@att.net
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] Swapping out rear end on '52 GMC 1/2 T
From: mark <ccpanel@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 10:12:32 -0700 (PDT)
A long time ago I used a 69 chevelle axle i found under one of my other AD
trucks.
ive used camaro also.

never again!

the chevy 10/12 bolt axles use the axle as a bearing surface. cheap and since
you are starting with a used axle its not long before you have to sleeve it or
fix it...blah blah.
5 lug and same width.

ive just kinda stumbled on the solution due to another 4x4 project.

jeep wagoneer/cherokee, the fullsize version.
>From 1980-1990 they used a centered rear axle and it is the correct width.
They are one of 2 axles-both bulletproof. Most common is an AMC 20, and almost
as common is a Dana 44. If you find them under a 6 cyl rig they will be 3.54
or 3.31 ratios. I think some of the V8 had either a 2.73 or a 3.73(both
possible) ratio. Still workable but not ideal.

both the 44 and the 20 use a ford style pressed-on bearing that is bolted to
the backing plate. the camaro keeps teh axle in by a teeny tiny "C"-clip that
has/will break.

my choice for now on is the 44/20 combo. and in my part of the world-i can get
a whole 4x4 car with a sellable Dana 44 front axle and springs for under 500$.
The front axle sells for 200-400 depending on the desperation of the buyer and
your wife. The buyer to grab it for his mud crawlin rig and your wife who
desperately wants your junk out of her yard/garage!

Mark

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 20:55:42 -0400
From: "Jerry and Phyllis Charles" <jpchas@att.net>
Subject: [Oletrucks] Swapping out rear end on '52 GMC 1/2 T
To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>

Gentlemen,

I want to swap out my 411 tube shaft for something that will handle 60 mph
better.  I want to know what axle anybody swapped out.  The measurements
between the inside plates is 56.

I need 6 lug with a 3:08 to 3:72 gear ratio.  What year and type of axles is
everybody using?

Thank you,

Jerry Charles

52 GMC = Ton