Re: [Oletrucks] Oletrucks Digest, Vol 2, Issue 40. FANS

To: ole trucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] Oletrucks Digest, Vol 2, Issue 40. FANS
From: Dustin Cross <livnrt@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 11:13:25 -0600
I learned a lot about fans a couple years ago.  On my '74 with a 454 I kept
having to replace the fan clutch more and more frequently so a friend gave me
an adapter he had laying around.  I ran it for about 30k and then my metal
fixed fan came apart and tried to go through the hood!  Turns out the fans
meant to run on a clutch are not meant for high rpms for long periods of time.
I ran a flex fan for a while and hated the sound it made and felt it did not
work well either.  I then replaced it with a nylon fan which I have been
pretty happy with.

The most important thing I learned was that you NEVER lay over the engine
while it is running!  The fan came apart just minutes after I had adjusted the
timing.  The aluminum blade went straight up through the shroud and the U
shaped support support under the hood (very strongest part of  the heavy hood)
it only dented the the outside skin!

> Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 20:31:21 -0700
> From: ccpanel@yahoo.com
> To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] Oletrucks Digest, Vol 2, Issue 40
>
> if you have big radiator and it does fine at night its simply a matter of
airflow.
> Your fan is not pulling enough!
>
> 55TF camper ran hot if i pushed it... used water wetter, 100% distilled
water, shroud.. etc. still ran hot.
> removed flex fan and installed a same size fixed puller fan and now I can
not make it run hot.

> flex fan just couldnt pull enough air volume.
>
> if you CAN run mechanical fan-do it. try a flex fan first(my TF is 7,000#
camper with frontal area of a house!)
> if flex fan still not work-then run 6 blade hard fan.
> http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-1719P/
>
> if you can only run electric-use a relay and a #8 wire to relay and big #8
from relay to fan.
> also spend the bucks and get the highest CFM rated fan you can buy-$250
3,000cfm fan is cheap peace of mind over teh $100 kragen 1,000cfm fan.