Re: [Oletrucks] Fiberglass Question

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, <kremerrak@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] Fiberglass Question
From: "James Hays" <thomasind@nventure.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 06:50:52 -0700
Rick:

I have a 94 LT1 in my 55 1st with elect fan/shroud - went out the left inner
fender with stock ( Caprice ) 90 deg. rubber elbow off throttle body - MAF
sensor - a rubber straight from the wrecking yard -  plastic 90 deg. from
plumbing supply into fabricated metal box ( with cone filter ) - through
radiator support with 2x8x2 belled duct from Caprice ( never been on the
road but looks ok ). Can send pictures if interested.

I'm a retired tooling engineer - getting your foam out could be a real
problem. I know a company that makes air ducts for Boeing. They make a 1/4''
thick plaster form of the inside of the duct with support extensions on
ends - lay up the fiberglass over it - set up - break out the plaster.

You should be able to do similar - add ends on your foam to support it while
you lay up the fiberglass ( being able to turn the foam will greatly assist
fiberglass lay up ) - cut up your foam & reattach as slightly as possible
allowing assistance for removal - seal the outside surface with aluminum
foil as smoothly as possible - coat the aluminum foil with a few coats of
car wax removing excess - lay up the fiberglass noting where to stop the
duct allowing cutting to exact length later. Can furnish a sketch if
interested.

Hope this helps,
Jim
55 1st 5 window P U