Re: [Oletrucks] 59 speedo

To: K Ohlgren <kjohlgren@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] 59 speedo
From: Jonas Thaler <jonasthaler@jonasthaler.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 11:34:13 -0700
My own 59 TF speedo tale of woe:  I took out the whole cluster, had it rebuilt
for 450 bucks, new chrome on bezel.   Re-installed it (and as you might know,
it is not an easy job to R & R this unit.)  All the gauges worked perfectly
and the speedo worked like a new car. For two blocks.  Right away the odometer
froze in place, like at .2 miles.   So I pulled the whole thing out again,
tagged the lamp wires, etc.   I opened up the cluster and discovered that a
small brass clip was loose which holds the number wheels in place so their
little gears can mesh properly.  The clip looked destroyed by metal fatigue.
Why that would be I have no idea.  So I replaced it with one from a parts
cluster I had.  Fifty miles later my beautifully installed replacement clip
fell off, I guess from vibration.  Then about a month later, the speedometer
started making a meat grinder sound.  The cable and gear are fine.  Something
is nasty inside the speedo unit itself.

Now I am too busy with work to deal with it.

I am, however, excited to be having the front end rebuilt.

Sigh.