Re: [Oletrucks] RUST

To: Bob Keeland <keelandb@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] RUST
From: Gale Gorman <gale_gorman@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 19:40:32 -0500
There are lots of rust removers on the market. One I found to work well is the
gel from Eastwood. You might try filling the gap with this acid, let it set a
while, and then rinse with water. It will leave a phosphorous coating that will
resist rust for months with no coating. Then you can use POR15 or just about
any good primer. I haven't used POR15 so I prefer a good primer and I don't
think it will rust again in your lifetime.

I've tried a few other acid products that require you submerge the rusty part
or somehow keep it wet for an extended period. Evapo-Rust is one of these and
it just doesn't seem practical for use on stuff you can't readily dip. The gel
keeps the rust wet while the acid does its work. Naval Jelly is a similar
product and it's readily available in the paint section of any Home Depot or
Ace Hardware. Probably an expensive choice since it's only sold in small
bottles. The gel from Eastwood comes in gallon jugs and works better.

I have a heavily rusted frame on a '67 that I'll use mechanical means to get
rid of the rust and then follow up with the gel just to get it bright.
Mechanical for me is a pneumatic needle scaler and a wire brush on a grinder.
The rusted out body parts will just get new panels welded in.
--
Gale Gorman
Houston