[Oletrucks] 57 one ton making progress

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [Oletrucks] 57 one ton making progress
From: J Forbes <jforbnospam@selectric.org>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 15:35:09 -0700
Hi, I mentioned my new truck a while back, it's a 57 single wheel one
ton, had a flatbed on it, and a 58 car 283 transmission. I've been doing
some work to it finally, I shortened the frame a little bit, and swapped
the rearend/springs for those from an 86 suburban 3/4 ton. So now it has
3.73 gears (vs 5.14) and brakes that are easy to find parts for. I took
out the scary owner made wiring, and installed a slightly modified used
harness from another 57. I have most of the gages working. The generator
is not making any amps yet, I guess I need to take it apart and see
what's up. I have a 454 and TH400 that I'll probably put in it sometime
in the near future, the 283 is worn out. I've been putting around the
yard, it's a fun truck, sits up nice and high. I fixed the front wheel
cylinders, but it needs new shoes and drums, I found some new drums
reasonable but still need to get the shoes and install it all. The
kingpins were really tight (had the dreaded popping sound when steering
it), but adding grease and letting it sit got them freed up. The body
needs some work as far as the doors and back of the front fenders, but
it's really solid as they go.

http://www.selectric.org/57oneton/truck02.jpg

--
Jim