[Oletrucks] 54 235 rebuild

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Oletrucks] 54 235 rebuild
From: "Robert Gahley" <robertwolf1@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 19:28:27 -0700
Inquiry #1. I have the head off and looking for parts, what I find is for
valves, that half the places sale exhaust valve seats but my heads exhaust
seats are just part of the head ground into the casting. Question is are the
seats that they have needed for the unleaded gas or is it if you cant regrind
what you have for the exhaust valves? It doesn't look like it has ever been
ground so a lot of room jet.

Inquiry #2. The rocker arm oiling tube is broken in the brass connecting peace
at the cut out for allowing the oil into the rocker arm tube. From what I can
determine I could tap the upper part and put in a plug this will help keep the
oil pressure a little higher and should not harm anything. From pictures I've
seen and what I've read the 58 thru 62 versions they did just that or close to
it, or is their something about the 54 thru 57 that need the little extra oil
on the floor of the head to help lube like maybe the lifters even thou the
extra will still come out the rocker arms?

Inquiry #3. Has anyone ever ported the intake on their 235 and if so did it
help with fuel economy and horse power? Also if so how far did you take the
porting?
from what I can determine the most you want to do is 1.659 inch's but that
scares me maybe just to the edge of the intake alignment sleeve. Any advice on
this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Just so you Know I have been with oletrucks for a few years now. I read all
your mail and might ask a Question every now and again but most of you seem to
shrug me off because I have Inquiry's about my 46 3/4 ton Art Deco and it
seems most of you are Advance Design people or later but now I have a AD
engine and hope you can help me out with this project. I have no Qualms with
AD trucks or anything newer. As a mater of fact I like all chevy trucks but
mostly 1966 and older. I think the 41 thru 46 trucks are the most unique in
the bunch and very cool looking.

                                                        Thanks for listening
Hope to hear from you

                                             Rob