Re: [Oletrucks] what blast media is best for rust removal - also

To: mnee <mnee@martinnee.com>
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] what blast media is best for rust removal - also
From: Gale Gorman <gale_gorman@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 12:55:06 -0500
>>On Apr 10, 2011, at 12:40 PM, mnee wrote:

I'm hearing soda for paint but cannot verify it will remove rust?  Would
walnut be better?

Thanks in advance.

-----------snip----------
Where is the rust?

I have both sand and soda blasting equipment and often use a wire cup brush on
a grinder. Depends on access. Soda is for paint removal, especially on
fiberglass. Soda is great for bringing dull aluminum back to a fresh cast look.

I also like phosphoric acid to simply dissolve the rust.

Sand is messy and reserved for an aggressive attack on a place that's hard to
get at.

Have no idea where I'd use walnut shells.

My first choice is always a wire brush on a grinder; least messy, quick, and
thorough.

Gale Gorman
Houston

Oletrucks@autox.team.net