[Oletrucks] slightly off topic but relevant--repairing hail damage

To: old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com, old_chevroletgmctrucks
Subject: [Oletrucks] slightly off topic but relevant--repairing hail damage
From: "mark@noakes.com" <mark@noakes.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 07:45:52 -0400
Does anyone have experience with repairing hail damage themselves as in
actually doing the body work? I got blasted in Wednesday's storms. One
vehicle can go through insurance; the other I need to do myself or it
would be totaled due to its low value before restoration.

Anyone have experience with insurance whereas once a vehicle is totaled,
even if you redo it you cannot get comprehensive on it after that?

Hoods can be replaced (and will need to be) but the roof in particular
is a concern, and I'm not sure if there aren't other body panels that
would be better to repair than to replace...that's even if they are
available to replace at all.

A key interest is that I've heard that the dings may pop out either on
their own or intermittently under wide temperature variation
(winter-summer repeated cycles). What's the best technique--body filler
or body solder--given the structural issues?

I gather that paintless dent repair is quite expensive--true or not? Not
quite justified when the vehicle needs paint anyway?

Thanks for any input,

Mark N
Various old GM trucks and cars

Oletrucks@autox.team.net