Re: [Oletrucks] 3 speed overdrive conversion

To: <mharc@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] 3 speed overdrive conversion
From: "mark@noakes.com" <mark@noakes.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 16:03:22 -0500
I happen to have the 3-speed out of my 58 Suburban stored next to the
3-speed OD I plan to put back into it. As far as I can tell, they are
identical in length, 22 inches from trans-to-bellhousing mount to end of
tail piece plus 1/2 inch out the back for the splines on the shaft.

Mark N
58 Chevy Suburban, 2wd, V8 3-speed OD if I ever get it finished
58 GMC 1/2 ton big back window short bed wideside, NAPCO 4wd, 4-speed,
270 6, orig power steering

On 12/11/11 3:29 PM, Robert Swanson wrote:
>       I have a 3 spd overdrive from a 1/2 ton (55-59), and it looks to be the
>same
> length as the standard transmission.  I don't have a regular non overdrive
> tranny to confirm the measurements.  I have a parts book and will look to see
> if the driveshaft for the overdrive is a different part number.
>       If someone does have the length of the talishaft for the non overdrive
> transmission, it will be easy for me to confirm whether or not the driveshaft
> length will have to change.  I don't think it does.
>       If you don't have the parts for the column shift, I would just use a
>floor
> shift.  Old column shifters can be a pain to get set up properly.
>       The transmission freewheels when it is in the overdrive mode.
> Bob

Oletrucks@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47