Re: [Oletrucks] Rear end swap for a 53 Chevy Truck 3100

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] Rear end swap for a 53 Chevy Truck 3100
From: Robert Swanson <mapa-kettle@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 16:32:28 -0700
Mike,
        What a coincidence!  I have a 55 Chev Cameo, and in 1968, I swapped the
engine, transmission, and rear end into the truck from a 1960 Pontiac
Parisienne.  ( for our southern friends, just think Chevy with a Pontiac
nameplate).  I solved the width problem by using chrome reversed wheels,
but I was still left with the problem of six stud on the front and 5 on
the rear.  I solved the problem by finding the drums and backing plates
off the front of a 54 Chev car, and converted everything to 5 bolt.
        I am not crazy about spacers.  I have used them, and with ordinary
highway driving, I ended up losing a wheel because of broken studs.  The
only way I would go this route, would be to have the hubs drilled for
larger wheel bolts.
        I know they are getting expensive, but an older Ford 9" will fit
without the requirement to change the width.   The newer 9 inch rearends
are more plentiful, but they will need to be narrowed.
This will give the flexibility of putting in whatever ratio your heart
desires.
        For completeness, I am now running a 454 big block, TH400, Hon-o_drive
overdrive, and a Blazer rearend with 3.73 gears.  I am going to
re-install a stock 1/2 ton rear end, just because I have one and it is
close to the same ration.  To solve the reliability problem, I will not
be mounting fat tires back on the truck.
Bob

Oletrucks@autox.team.net
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive