Re: Dyno in shop

To: kimknapp@vail.net (Kim Knapp), shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dyno in shop
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 11:23:40 -0500
On Jan 10,  8:54pm, Kim Knapp wrote:
> Subject: Dyno in shop
>         Has anyone set up an engine dyno in their home shop. I would love
> to, but am worried about noise, amoung other things (like cost$).
>                         Kim
>-- End of excerpt from Kim Knapp

Having worked here at Ford in instrumentation, I can probably answer
this.

There are two styles of dynamometers. First, there is the chassis dyno,
and then there is the engine dyno. The chassis dyno is also known as a
mechanical road. The vehicle is driven onto the rolls and the rolls are
set to simulate a know road in friction. The data taken from this type
of dyno is used to give the horsepower at the driving wheels.

The engine dynos are either a load or a source. The load simulates the
friction and general loading of an engine. In this type, the engine is
started and run through a power cycle. The second type is used to
turn the motor. This is refered to in the trade as motoring the engine.
The engine does not run under it's own power.

As far as cost, you could probably pick up a used one from a shop, but
I wouldn't begin to guess what you'd pay. The other considerations are
noise as you mentioned, fuel, exhaust, and electrical power. (They
usually need 440v - have you ever tried to get 440v in a residential
area?). Also, you need a data acquisition system to gather the data.

Finally, you need to know what you are looking at/for in the data
that you acquire. We have trained engineers to interpret the data.

Doug Mitchell
Not presenting Ford's opinion.