Re: Pricing on Lincoln welder?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pricing on Lincoln welder?
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 1996 15:08:47 -0700
Thanks all for the response on the welder.  The general consensus was that
I found a good deal, but that I should modify a few of my choices (lose jacket,
smaller bottle, upgrade to auto-lens).

>       Lincoln SP125 Plus      $550
>       regulator                $50
>       80 cf bottle (75/25)    $110
>       spool of wire            $20
>       leather jacket           $40
>       gloves                    $3
>       hood (large shield)      $30
>                               ----
>                               $803

I also called around to a couple other shops, just to do some price checking.
My revised list will likely be:

        Lincoln SP125 Plus
        regulator
        80 cf bottle (75/25)
        spool of wire
        gloves
        hood (large shield)
        pkg:                    $730.

I guess it pays to let your fingers do the walking!  The store that gave me
this quote tried to steer me away from the 40cf bottle, saying it was too
small.  I'm mainly interested in doing sheetmetal work on one car (rust repair,
some reinforcing plates); any usage after that will be misc stuff.  Will the
40cf bottle last through 1 car project?

The shop also had some other choices:
  Millermatic 130 for the same price.
  Used Weldpak-100 ($250) w/MIG conversion kit ($120;includes regulator) ~$100
less
  New Weldpak-100T (same as 100, but includes gas solenoid) ~$100 less

I'm inclined to pass on the Weld-Pak's, but how about the Miller?

As for the the auto-lens; the Hornell (single 4.5"x5" lens) was $350, and the
basic Hornell (same size lens, less features) was $250.  Or I could get a
"Huntsman" brand retro-lens for $150.  Should I stick with the Hornell (anyone
heard of the Huntsman brand?), and are there less expensive sources (mailorder
maybe?).

Thanks again,
Mike