Re: Air grease guns

To: "John Napoli" <jgn@li.net>, "Steve Noe" <stevenoe@box-s.nih.gov>
Subject: Re: Air grease guns
From: John Fisher <jfisher@alabama.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 17:11:53 -0000
I can't agree enough with this message. A couple of years ago, we had a
patient who received an injection injury from a high-pressure paint
sprayer (he was scratching the tip to clear a clog). The paint involved
contained lead, so it showed up well on x-ray. This guy had a small
puncture wound on the tip of his index finger. On x-ray, you could see
paint spread half way to his elbow. He required hours of surgery and
weeks of physical therapy.

Furthermore, don't EVER discharge a grease gun such that the grease is
injected into your skin.  The resulting medical condition usually leads to
amputation.

John

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Steve Noe wrote:

> One word of advice re. pneumatic grease guns: keep them away from kids.
> I taught auto shop and had to explain to the principal the grease splotches
> on the shop ceiling.  Disconnected the bugger and gave the kids manual
cartridge
> grease guns.

"Never ask a man what sort of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll
tell
you. If not, why embarrass him?" -Tom Clancy