Re: unleaded fuel

To: John Hardy <hardwire@webleicester.co.uk>
Subject: Re: unleaded fuel
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 22:28:02 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, John Hardy wrote:

> with the dawning of the Millenium approaching, there's a lot of talk in the
> motoring press about the unavailability of 4* petrol from the year 2000.
>
> Surely something's been developed as an additive to put in petrol to guard
> against valve seat recession. I've been told that if full power is not used
> and using the engine under load is avoided then there isn't a problem.
> These appears to be half arsed to me. I very often tow a 5 berth caravan
> behind my Riley 9 and have been known to blast down the motorway so
> equipped.
>
> Hasn't such a ban been in operation in California for some time? How's
> about it?

It isn't just California. Leaded gasoline (er, petrol) hasn't been
available in most of the US for many years, other than for aviation and
auto racing applications.

There are a number of additives available here that are supposed to
protect valve seats, but I've never seen conclusive evidence that they
work.  The best defense is to install hardened seat inserts.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net