Re: Garage Door Balance

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Garage Door Balance
From: Andy Banta <Andy.Banta@Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 11:04:55 -0800

>> One final note:  I've had my eye on a drill press for awhile.  Anyone have
>> any good ideas on how to convince my wife that I can't install the garage
>> door opener without benefit of this indispensable tool?   ;^)

>Better you should find something else she wants done, then go out and get
>the drill press and start right in on her project.

With all due respect to the serious nature of the garage door
question, this type of tool-purchase question galls me.  Do you have a
legitimate (not contrived) use for a drill press?  If so, go get one.
If not, what's the purpose in getting one?  Because it's a neat tool?

Neat tools are most neat when they can be put to work doing useful
stuff.  When they end up being used as an extention of the work bench
or a convenient item to take up space in the cornet of the garage,
they don't seem quite as neat.

Tool manufacturers probably love this mindset.  They probably sell a
sizable number of tools to people who will use them exactly 2.37 times
in their lives.  1.73 of these times could've been accomplished with
tools existing in the garage and another .42 of these times will be
blatant misuse of the tool in question ("Let's see if we can press
that bearing in using the chuck on the drill press.")

One time, while out buying a 5/8" masonry bit on a goof (or maybe
not), I overheard a pair of Bob-n-Ralph wannabes talking about how
cool it would be to have a holesaw.  I was floored.  Why would anyone
want to buy a holesaw if they didn't have an immediate task in mind
for it?

That's just my opinion.  I could be wrong.

andy
banta@abingdon.sun.com