Re: Air compressor FAQ

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Air compressor FAQ
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 11:48:39 -0400 (EDT)
        This is what I have found. I have a Sears 5 HP oil less compressor
with a 25 gallon tank (the new one is 5.5 hp and willbe on sale in the
states for $260 with Craftsman club discount from 7/8 till 7/11). I paid
about $260 for mine and couldn't be happier. Yes it makes noise and who
knows what the actual hp might be but it works fine. It runs offof 220 or
110 so I can use it where ever I want. It puts out enough pressure for any
job including a 3/4 inch impact wrench that I borrowed. I have painted,
blasted, sanded and grinded with it and my only complaint is the noise.
If you have an extra $150 or so then go for the belt drive if not this is
a good unit IMHO. I spent the money I save and bought air tools at Harbor
Freight. Again you can spend more but for the average home mechanic these
work fine. I spent the big bucks on a Chicago Pneumatic 1/2 impact gun
because this is one of those things that really matter. On sale it was
$115 but worth it.
...Art