Re: Solvent Disposal/Reclamation

To: Douglas Shook <dshook@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: Solvent Disposal/Reclamation
From: Roger Gibbs <rgibbs@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 19:00:01 +0000
Douglas Shook wrote:

> A question, though, since I recycle my motor oil in 5 gallon quantities
> at the local Chief autoparts store, if one were to mix a little solvent
> with the motor oil, would it be "salvageable" rather than just
> incinerated (or whatever they do with the materials collected as
> "toxics")?

Doug,

I have spoken with two places locally, one an auto parts store, one a auto
repair
facility, and both reported that this is a problem.  Solvent in oil is
considered a
contaminated product and, as I recall, they either have their holding tanks or
their
waste oil tested on a random basis.  Problems arise if these tests indicate
volatiles in
the oil.  Caused both places to not except waste oil from outside sources.  My
suggestion would be to not do that.

-Roger